Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Cardinal "Should:" I Should be Super Mom

We had a big windstorm one year. My daughter and I walked around the backyard surveying the damage. A very large fir tree had blown over. It was laying on the ground with twisted roots showing.

We stood beside it; I saw the confusion on her face. As the reality of what had happened hit her, she looked up at me. Her eyes were wet and big; she seemed to feel the pain of the earth and the tree.  I was not prepared for what came out of her mouth…”Mommy, fix it.”

I felt helpless. I didn’t want her to feel this pain. I wanted her to continue believing I could make everything ok.

I wanted the power she believed I had. I experienced myself through her eyes. She viewed me as able to do anything. I didn’t want to let her down; I wanted to live up to this image. 

The birthplace of a cardinal “should.”  I should be able to be all things to my child. I should be Super Mom!

Underneath this “should” was the inner knowing that I couldn’t, that I would fail. I now knew “I would never be good enough.” What a burden. This haunted me for years, as it haunts many parents. It was a belief that kept me from being able to be authentic with my children.

Letting go of this belief, opened up many new options, and paved the way for authenticity.

I learned to experience my daughter’s pain with her, but not make it mine. Now, she was able to:  experience pain, know that it would be ok, know that we could handle it, and, know that I would be there.


That is the source of my true power, and it is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment